Washington D.C.’s Cannabis Seed Exchange Campaign is seeing high demand.
For those unfamiliar with the D.C. Cannabis Seed Exchange Campaign, here is a quick rundown.
- It is now legal to grow marijuana plants in D.C.
- It is legal to gift marijuana to another person (there must be no compensation for the gift)
- It is ILLEGAL to sell marijuana.
- With no place to buy seeds, D.C. created the Seed Exchange. “This will be D.C. residents’ opportunity to share seeds with other adults and start down the path of legally growing your own cannabis in the safety and privacy of your home,” the campaign announced March 12.
The District is planning to host two seed exchanges this month. (March 26 and March 28)
AP is reporting that the event has seen high demand with more than 340 people signing up by March 13.
If you are planning to attend, a flier had some warnings:
- Do not bring more than 2 ounces of marijuana or seeds
- Do not exchange any money
- Must be over 21 years old
The convoluted nature of D.C.’s marijuana legalization laws seems silly resulting in such measures as these. It’s certainly a step in the right direction but let’s hope it leads to more sensible complete legalization.